Thursday, January 19, 2012

Attitudes in Praying

Last Friday (January 13), Ida one of the catalyst leaders in our network asked a BIG favor for me. That is to exhort during the Friday’s (January 20) Prayer Works. I am hesitant to her proposal. I instructed her to ask Koyam (another leader) to replace her but she insisted that Ate Erika told her to call me. When I heard the name of Ate Erika, I said yes to her. I thought she didn’t ask her about this thingy.

Since January 13, I’ve been praying on what message God wants me to exhort for the prayer works. He answered me through dreams and gave me 5 pointers for the “Attitudes in Praying” but when I woke up, I only remember 3 pointers. Huhuhu!

Here are the first 3 pointers God gave me.

First, Right Motive or Right Heart. This came from the book of James 4:2b-3, NLT, “Yet you don’t have what you want because you don’t ask God for it. And even when you ask, you don’t get it because your motives are all wrong—you want only what will give you pleasure”. I remember that I already shared this verse in my previous post. But in case you haven’t red it yet, let me elaborate it for you. Whether we admit it or not, sometimes when we pray to our Father, we have wrong motives in our prayers rather our heart is wrong for the things that we are asking to him. For example, I want to be rich and famous. Why? Because I want those people who mock and underestimate me to see the things I achieved. See, my motive is wrong. How can God give me those things if I have that kind of thinking and motive.

Second, Be Persistent. PUSH means Pray Until Something Happen. In Luke 11:5-13, NLT, says, “5 Then, teaching them more about prayer, he used this story: “Suppose you went to a friend’s house at midnight, wanting to borrow three loaves of bread. You say to him, 6 ‘A friend of mine has just arrived for a visit, and I have nothing for him to eat.’ 7And suppose he calls out from his bedroom, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is locked for the night, and my family and I are all in bed. I can’t help you.’ 8 But I tell you this—though he won’t do it for friendship’s sake, if you keep knocking long enough, he will get up and give you whatever you need because of your shameless persistence.[a] 9 “And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. 11 “You fathers—if your children ask[b] for a fish, do you give them a snake instead? 12 Or if they ask for an egg, do you give them a scorpion? Of course not! 13 So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him.” Most of the times, God grant our requests because of our persistency not because we deserve them. For example, I am praying for a specific boyfriend but God doesn’t want that man for me. It’s because of my persistency; God gave that person to me as a boyfriend. After months and years, we broke up, I asked God with a weeping heart, “Why did you gave that man to broke my heart and to experience this hurtful feelings?” He told me, “You said you like him, I told you that I do not like him for you but you are persistent that is why I gave him to you.” I was stun. He is right. I am the one who is pushy for that person.

Third, Be Bold. When we pray, we are exercising our right as children of God. If we are children of God, we should ask Him whatever we want. How we ask our biological parents, as well we should be with God. We shouldn’t be timid or whatsoever in asking something from Him because He is our Father, our Heavenly Father. In Hebrews 4:16, NLT, “So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.”

While we are praying in the Kidz Life Tent, God revealed the last 2 pointers I forgot. Here are the additional pointers.

Fourth, Grateful Heart. Colossians 4:2, NLT, “Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart.” Being grateful means we are ready in receiving our blessings because no matter what circumstances we are in, we are thankful. I quoted my favorite quote in the Facing the Giant Movie, If we win, we praise Him. And if we lose, we praise Him

Lastly, Be Patient. Romans 8:25, NLT, “But if we look forward to something we don't yet have, we must wait patiently and confidently.” We must wait patiently to God’s perfect timing. As Acts 1:7, TMSG says, “Timing is the Father’s Business”.

I know that there are lots of attitudes we should have when we pray to our Father. But for now, He wants me to share these 5 pointers for you and I. May you bless and receive to the message. God bless!


Let’s pray.

Dear Daddy God,

We praise you and glorify you. I thank you for the victorious day that you have given for us today. Father, may you give us right and grateful heart in praying and that we may be persistent, be bold and be patient in your perfect timing for our prayers come to pass. We appreciate and love you. In the most powerful and loving name if our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen!

0 comments:

For God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable. – Romans 11:29, NIV

About Me

My Photo
Glaiza Samson-Siron
A seeker and lover of our Lord Jesus Christ. A favored princess who is patiently waiting for our King’s promises comes to pass. A child of the Most High God who is hungry and thirsty to our Abba Father’s words. A person who wants to be the person God wants her to be.
View my complete profile

Followers

Let's talk...

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Saving Grace