Sunday, October 30, 2011

Encounter God Retreat

We just had our 3 day Encounter God Retreat last October 27, 28 & 29 at Mount Peniel, Capas, Tarlac. The name was derived from the passage Genesis 32:30, “So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, "It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared."

Here are the lessons they discussed during the EGR.

I. Zacchaeus  
In here, they discussed on how Zacchaeus and his household was save due to their encounter with Jesus. Like us, Zacchaeus also encountered lots of hindrances when he encounters Jesus. First, the wall. These are walls of rejection, doubt, unbelief, fear, bitterness, dishonesty, materialism, insecurity, pride and many others. Second, “short”. In Romans 3:23 says, “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”. Third, because of the crowd. Admit or not, we love to please the crowd. To tell you, we are called to pleased God and not man. Last, fast/former life. This is the strongest hindrance for us to have an encounter with God. We always think of the bad things we did. Good thing is God set us free from our guilt and condemnation and because of that He gives us a successful and fruitful life.

If there are hindrances in encountering God there are also blessings when we encounter God. First, we will be filled with excitement, with overflowing joy that we’ve never experienced in our life. Second, we will not mind what people will say. Lastly, we will have a life of righteousness – a changed life!

II. God’s Fatherly Love
Read Luke 15:11-24. Our Daddy God is also like the Father in the Prodigal Son. He waits for us every day to comeback; we only have to renew our minds, make the right decision and to confess our sins. The most surprising to our Father is that he is compassionate and merciful to forgive us and to welcome us again as if we did not do anything wrong to Him.

III. I’ve sinned against the Lord
They illustrate King David’s sin here. When he commit adultery to Bathsheba and let Uriah the Hittite be killed during the battle. (Read 2 Samuel 12:7-15)

There are consequences when we sinned against the Lord. 1. Financial blessings stop (v.8). 2. The doors are opened to a spirit of violence (v.10). 3. It brings a curse (v.11). 4. We are exposed to public shame (v.11-12). 5. A spirit of infirmity and death comes upon the family (v.14-15).

David is not aware about the sin he committed until Prophet Nathan confronted him. That confrontation brought conviction of sin that his confession to our Lord was genuine and he wrote about it in Psalm 51.

Years later, David wrote Psalm 32 and he remembers that because he confessed his sins he was forgiven and sanctified, and from that moment forward he had the certainty that no trial or adversity would touch him.

All of us have had sin against the Lord, big or small. But when we repent our sins to Him, he completely wipes away all the sins we committed.

IV. Seeing God Face to Face
Jacob is the main character in this discussion. Read Genesis 32.

V. Faith to Heal our Souls
Rejection is the most painful feelings and there is no question to that, right? All of us hate rejection. Who wants to be rejected by someone we love or someone we trust? No one.

There are consequences of rejection and it really affects our characters and personalities. Here are some consequences of rejection: Fear, shame, a sense of failure, loneliness and sadness. If there are consequences, there are also reactions to rejection: discouragement, sorrow, depression, emotional paralysis, bitterness, denial, vengeance, rebellion, inferiority complex, distrust and jealousy.

I admit that I suffered to these consequences and reactions of rejection. During those days, I tried to end my life due to sorrow, depression and bitterness. I also hated God because of rejection because I thought he also rejected me because of the adversities I experienced in my life. But I’ve learned that even the whole world (family, friends, etc.) leave me, my God will never leave nor forsake me.

VI. Seeing What Jesus has done for you at the cross
We all know what Jesus has done for us at the cross, right? He died to save us, to wash us, to unite us with our Heavenly Father. I know that you know that we are the one who nailed Jesus at the cross, right? We nailed him because of our sins, our stubbornness and all.

VII. Living in Victory
So Christ has truly set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don't get tied up again in slavery to the law. (Galatians 5:1, NLT)

Through Christ we are more than a conqueror, we are a champion, we are victorious, etc. Let us leave our defeat attitude behind.

VIII. Baptism of the Holy Spirit
I baptize you with[a] water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with[b] the Holy Spirit and fire. (Matthew 3:11, NIV)

And everyone present was filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other languages, as the Holy Spirit gave them this ability. (Acts 2:4, NLT)


The retreat is super worth it! God exceeded my expectations and He really surprised me.  Do you want to know what surprised me during the EGR? God confirmed my desire and I only have to believe and receive it. (In Jesus’ name, I RECEIVED!) Aside from that, he also answered my question. He told me that he is delighted to the things that I do and for being an enthusiastic. He told me to keep my heart burning on him.

Now, if there is someone who invites you to join an EGR, do not hesitate to come. God will exceed your expectations and he will surprise you what he did to me.

Here are the captured moments during the retreat.









New sisters in Christ. From L-R: Me, Jessica, Tita Mai, Lorraine, Ida and Ate Rosette

More photos? Click here...


Let’s pray.

Dear Daddy God,

Thank you for the renewed strength and spirit you have given me. Thank you for your promise to use me mightily in spreading your good news to other people and to other nation. Father, I believe and receive it, in Jesus’ name! I believe when that day comes, your Holy Spirit will give me the enough wisdom, understanding, strength and courage that I need. Lord, guide and lead me in my preparation period for I know the enemy will do everything to bring me down. Thank you, Dad. In Jesus’ most precious name. AMEN!

0 comments:

For God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable. – Romans 11:29, NIV

About Me

My Photo
Glaiza Samson-Siron
A seeker and lover of our Lord Jesus Christ. A favored princess who is patiently waiting for our King’s promises comes to pass. A child of the Most High God who is hungry and thirsty to our Abba Father’s words. A person who wants to be the person God wants her to be.
View my complete profile

Followers

Let's talk...

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Saving Grace